Let me show you how I can go a month without being my usual productive self without the guilt.
1. Schedule your down time way ahead of time. If you decide to go on vacation with short notice there's more likely to be pending items that will need to get done and that you'll be the one to have to do them. However long or short your break is, stick to making it a no-work time.
2. Let others know that you'll be out of reach for work-related issues and give them an alternative of who they can reach instead.
3. Remove the temptations to work. Leave your laptop, work phone or the binder with the pending items where you can't get to it. Leave it at work or if you're on vacation in a far away place, leave the gadgets and folders at home.
4. When you're bored during your vacation or have nothing to do, it's your time to rest not to find something to do, specially nothing work related.
5. Allow the guilt to come and go. Don't give in to calling work to check if something got done, or how everything is going? It's your vacation you deserve a break. Trust me, all your work will be waiting for you when you return.